I drove down to Chicago this past Saturday to stay with my cousins. My aunt and uncle are off for a week for a conference in Georgia. The cousins and I are home enjoying games, movies, take out, etc... We explored a little bit yesterday-they took me on a walk to Walgreens, a french bakery, and ACE Hardware. Nothing too exciting. The amount of homework I have to turn in when I get back will probably limit me to not so exciting explorations.
Today I drove Adrian, the youngest cousin, to school. He attends a private school that is just a little ways from their house. Today was a my first true look at the world my family lives in compared to mine. I pulled up to the school (it looks kind of like Hogwarts) to enter a long, long, long line of Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, and Land Rover SUVs. I felt somewhat out of place, but hoped that no one would notice I was only driving a Jeep. :p We walked through the school to his classroom, past parents who didn't speak english, didn't walk near their children or speak to them, nannies, mommies who were very obviously very important and business like, and a handful of people I could relate just a little bit more than those listed above. The children were all wearing clothes that were worth a small fortune and many seemed like little adults. My aunt and uncle certainly don't live like this.
After dropping my cousin off, I ventured to the grocery store for a few things we are running low on. I quickly realized that everything was organic, soy, tofu, etc which is not a problem for me because I really like that stuff. It is just so different from the grocery stores that I'm used to. Living in city is very different than the world I am used to. I don't mind it, but am really glad that it's not my everyday life. I feel very small town here.
The rest of my day will be spent working on homework, watching TV, and enjoying the rainy day. I'm looking forward to it. I won't have to venture out in to this different world until tomorrow.
0 comments:
Post a Comment