Friday, June 09, 2006

The Kindness of Strangers


Close to a year ago I was contacted by a girl, Caitlin, who wanted to donate items to our foster care program as part of a girl scout badge that she was earning. Our agency had placed a request for "in kind" donations in our parent organizations newsletter. Caitlin had seen the ad and decided she wanted to help. Close to a year ago when I spoke with her, I had no idea how huge her generousity was going to be.

After speaking with Caitlin the first time, I was under the impression that she was going to help collect school supplies for the kids. Well, a year later, she called and told me that she had all of the things gathered and she would like to drop them off.

Caitlin came to our office on Wednesday with two cars full of goodies for the children placed in our program. Caitlin provided a "bed in a bag", an age appropriate bible, and a note for each child. For the younger ones, she received a "Build a Bear" for each of them. I still get choked up when I think of how generous her gifts are and how they will make one of our kids feel.

Caitlin was 16 when she started this project. She held a garage sale, conducted a pop can drive, and requested donations from department stores and bookstores. I am amazed at her determination to gather the items we requested just because she knew that foster children often have very few, brand new, things they can call their own.

As soon as she left, we took time to read the letter she wrote to the kids. It is only a paragraph long and I couldn't get through it because I was so overwhelmed by it. She told each child they were loved and they were special-these are words they all need to hear. When we put in the request to the newsletter a year ago, it was with hope that we might get a "few" of the things we asked for. NEVER, in my mind, did I think that we would get all of the things we asked for and to top that-we got one of everything for each child.

Caitlin was a stranger to our program. She had no affiliation with our agency or any of us. She felt led to do something for us and not only did she do it, she went above and beyond our request. I am humbled and unbelievabley thankful for the kindness of someone who was, but is no longer, a stranger to us.

Matthew 7:7-"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. "

0 comments: