Wednesday, April 12, 2006


"Good things come to those who wait"

Not being a very patient person, this is concept that is a little hard for me to live by. However, I am learning that it is at least worth giving a shot. I'm a social worker in children's foster care. Much of what my co-workers and I do on a day to day basis depends on others and their actions. Life in our office, in our ministry, and with our kids and families is in constant motion. I don't always have the luxery of being patient. But, I am convinced that I should not always rule being patient in some situations out so quickly.

Yesterday I was completely overwhelmed with thanks to God. For months we have been struggling with what to do as far as placements were concerned for some of our kids. After many months of diligently seeking the best options, praying, praying, and more praying several doors opened that would allow several children to find healthy, permanent homes...to top that-the homes and the kids are almost perfect matches.

It's my personal opinion that "good" isn't always good enough. I am always amazed that I am trusted with the lives of these children. How did I end up here? Don't get me wrong, I love what I do-I am thankful that God has placed me here. It doesn't change that every morning I am have to stop and realize what I am about to do for the day-protect lives of children who should never have been faced with the reality that they live. Their future, current existance, and security is trusted to my hands (and my co-workers who are all sooooo WONDERFUL). With that being said, how can I ever find "good" to be acceptable? So, perfect it has to be. "Almost perfect" is a great place to start.....

0 comments: